Instructions of the students` council
Issued by the Board of Trustees of the University in its session
No. (6/89) Date 13th August 1998
Article (1): Al Zaytoonah Private University of Jordan forms a
council called (Al Zaytuna University students council) to
represent students in student affairs to be based in the Deanship of
Student Affairs at the University.
Article (2): The following words have the following meanings
unless the context indicates otherwise:
The University: Al Zaytoonah Private University of Jordan.
The President: President of the University.
The Dean: Dean of Student Affairs.
The Council: Al Zaytoonah Private University of Jordan students’ council.
General Authority: All regular students enrolled in various
disciplines at the Faculty of the University to obtain a degree or certificate •
Article (3): The Council aims to achieve the following:
A) Support various student activities in the scientific, cultural, social and sport field.
B) Closer cooperation between the students and motivate them to team work.
C) Follow-up students issues and coordinate with the university
administration to resolve the problems facing the educational process for students.
D) Develop the democratic practice, substantive dialogue and
respect opinions of others.
E) Refine the student’s personality according to a holistic view to respond to the values of the Arab Islamic civilization and promote membership in the University and the nation.
F) Provide opportunities for positive interaction between students
and the University administration, faculties and departments, and work to support the academic process.
G) Ensure the importance of investing University life to prepare for
the future and absolute respect for the laws, regulations and followed instructions, and show values of the Jordanian society.
Membership of the Council and its Formation
Article (4): A) S/he has successfully completed the minimum credit
hours per semester according to the instructions in force by the university.
B) The cumulative average should not be less than the minimum for each course.
C) Be regular at the University for the duration of his/her
membership, and the student registered in the minimum academic load is considered regular student at the University except for the graduation and summer semesters.
D) S/he did not receive any disciplinary punishment beyond the
first alarm until the beginning of the nomination, and if signed that has passed at least two semesters.
E) Paid all the decisive University fees.
Article (5): A) The Council consists of elected students in University
faculties according to the representation as follows:
1.One member at least for each faculty.
2.Number of members commensurate with the students enrolled
in the faculty.
B) The Deans Council allocates the required representation rate in
the light of the announcement of the official numbers for students enrolled in various faculties at the beginning of the second semester of the academic year.
Article (6): A) Election vote is a right of every member of the
B) Elections are held as follows:
1. Each University faculty is considered being one electoral district.
2. Allocated to each electoral district number of ballot boxes with
appropriate numbers of students of the faculty.
3. The students elect in each faculty whosoever represent them in
the Council directly by taking into account what is stated in
Article five of these instructions.
4. The Council`s elections take place during the second semester of
each academic year.
5. Elections for the council membership take place in one day only
to begin the voting process
from nine o’clock am until five o’clock that afternoon.
6. Electoral propaganda is done a week before the start of the
election according to the University norms and the approval
of the dean.
7. Elections are set by secret ballot.
8. The President issues the basis and the internal guidelines for
conducting elections in accordance with these instructions.
C) The Council shall be elected for one year only starting from the
date of announcing the results and ends with the beginning of next year’s election.
Council`s Meeting and its Powers
Article (7): a) The Council shall hold its first meeting by the
invitation of the Dean to elect the President, Vice president,
the secretary general, and members of committees from
among its members within two weeks from the date of
announcing the election results, and then determines times of its meetings.
B) The Council`s meetings are public and may be held
confidentially if required by the nature of the topics provided that consent of a majority of members.
C) The load of the meetings should be legal if the absolute majority
attended. If it is not available, this load one hour for
the start of the meeting, it will be postponed to another date
to be held within ten days from the date fixed for the first
meeting and the load in the second meeting is legal if one
third of the council members attended the meeting including
the President of the Council and the Secretary General.
The council shall have the following powers:
A) Discuss the Council’s work plan and approving them.
B) Discuss the annual reports: financial and administrative
C) Prepare a proposed budget and submit it to Dean.
D) Make adjustments that deems appropriate to these instructions
and submit them to the President through the Dean.
E) Propose recommendations as deems necessary to achieve its
President of the Council, vice President, and the Secretary
Article (9): A) The President of the Council and his vice should be
2. Had been studied successfully, the specified credit hours as the
– (60) Credit hours of study plan for the undergraduate students.
– (15) Credit hours of study plan for the graduate students.
3. To be registered for at least the minimum of academic load in
each semester for the time of holding his position, except for
the graduation semester and summer semester as well.
4. His/her cumulative average should not be less than the
minimum required in the valid instruction.
B) The president and his deputy position should be occupied once
Article (10): A) The President of the Council performs the following
1. Calls for meetings of the Council and the administrative body.
2. Presides council`s meetings and the administrative body.
3. Refers the Council’s decisions and recommends to the
administrative board to take appropriate actions.
4. Represents the Council in similar student bodies.
B) The Vice President of the Council performs powers and tasks of
the president of the Council during his absence.
C) The Secretary of the Council performs the following functions:
1. Prepare agenda for the matters referred to by the President.
2. Prepare minutes of meetings.
3. Secretariat of the Council.
4. Receives correspondences of the council, save documents and
keep its papers and stamp.
5. Supply the Deanship of Student Affairs to provide the up to date
minutes of Council`s meetings.
6. Undertake any other tasks assigned by the President of the
Council within the limits of his powers.
Committees of the Council and its terms of reference
Article (11): The Council manages the affairs of an administrative
body under the chairmanship of the President of the Council
and the membership of the Vice President, the Secretary, and
the heads of the Council`s standing committees.
Article (12): A) The Council forms following standing committees
to exercise its functions:
1. The Financial Committee.
2. Student`s Affaires committee.
3. Student Activities Committee.
4. Volunteer work Committee to serve the University and the
5. Foreign Relations Committee.
B) Those Standing Committees elect the heads and two
determinants in the first meeting after its formation.
C) The Council may form temporary committees from its members
to do specific tasks.
D) The standing and temporary committees regulate and
determine their functions and powers according to the bases
issued by the council and reported to the Deanship of
Student Affairs at approval.
E) All the Council`s committees use whosoever deems appropriate
to exercise its functions from the members of the public body.
Article (13): The administrative board performs the following tasks:
1. Elect a cashier from its members.
2. Implement Council`s decisions and follow up recommendations.
3. Prepare the draft budget for the Council
4. Supervise faculties committees and monitor their
. Study Students issues and propose appropriate solutions.5
6. Put a draft action plan for students programs and activities and
recommend adopting by the Dean of Student Affairs.
7. Discuss the two annual reports: financial and administrative
and raising them to the Council.
8. Study subjects transferred by the dean.
Article (14): A) The Secretary of the Council performs the secretariat
of the of the administrative body and shall be
entitled with the duties referred to in Article (01 / C) of these
B) The cashier performs the following duties:
1. Receipt of all receipts and deposit receipts in the Council`s
2. Disbursements in accordance with the decisions of the
3. Submit a monthly statement to the administrative head of the
receipts, payments and raise a Copy to the Dean.
4. Bookkeeping and financial records in accordance with the
applicable accounting regulations.
5. Preparation of annual financial report.
Article (15): the governing body shall meet within a week of its
formation, and, following its meetings every week and
whenever circumstances and documenting its records
Article (16): a) 1. In every faculty of the University, a Committee
called (Faculty Committee) is composed of all representatives
of the faculty who are members of the
Council. If the number of such representatives is less than
three to complete the list, holders who take the most votes of
the candidates of the faculty shall be enlisted.
2. The Committee shall elect a Chairman from among its members
of the Council.
B) The Faculty Committee shall do the following tasks:
1. Prepare the annual report at the faculty level.
2. Follow-up activities approved by the Board at the faculty level.
3. Study the students’ issues at the faculty, propose solutions to
them, and raise the proposed solutions to the administrative bodies.
4. Prepare a plan for students’ activities at the faculty level and raise them to the administrative body.
5. Implement the decisions of the administrative body related to
the affairs of faculty students.
Cancellation of Membership
Article (17): A) membership of any council member is cancelled in
addition to the bodies and its committees in the following
1. The member intends to commit any prohibited act or
contrary to the objectives of the Council or abuse to his
2. If s/he committed any disciplinary offense punishable by
more than the first warning.
3. Convicted a felony or misdemeanor.
4. A loss of membership requirements set forth in Article
IV, except for the cumulative average.
6. Written resignation.
7. The transition from one faculty to another during the period of
8. Failure to attend meetings of the Council three consecutive
times or six separated times without an acceptable excuse.
B) Membership is cancelled by a decision of the Council with the
majority of two thirds of its members in the cases mentioned in item (1) of this article, and fall verdict in the cases included in
Financial Resources of the Council
Article (18): A) The Council has special budget supervised by the
B) The financial resources of the Council consist of the following:
1. An annual financial grant provided by the University
with one dinar for each student enrolled in each semester
except summer semester. The grant shall be payable in two
installments and that the financial matters are finalized at the
end of each semester.
2. Bodies, grants and donations received on behalf of the
Council and accepted by the University Council.
3. The proceeds of activities carried out by the
4. Any other resources approved by the University
5. Council funds shall be deposited in the bank by its name
that is determined by the chairman and withdraw under the
signatures of the chairman of the council or a cashier with the
Dean. 6. Spending is determined by a decision of the
administrative bodies appended by signatures of the
Chairman of the Council and cashier, in addition to the
Secretary or the Vice Chairman of the Council. The chairman
may spend no more than (50) fifty dinars a month
held by the cashier as an advance for expenses to be paid by
7. The Financial Director of the University performs auditing
expenditures receipts and financial documents, in addition to
council objects of exchange. S/he is acknowledged with all
financial transactions directly.
Article (19): The chairman of the Council and its members perform
the following oath in front of President of the University no
later than two weeks from the date of announcing election
(By the name of the Almighty God, I swear to be loyal to the
country and the King, righteous to the University mission and
conserving the laws, regulations and instructions and perform
my duties honestly and faithfully).
Article (20): If a vacancy occurs in the council it may be replaced by
another member having the second rank of votes, but if
no one remained three months at least for the end of the term
of the Council, a new member will be elected for the
vacant place to complete this article.
Article (21): The Council considers resigned by resignation of the
majority of its members, as well as in relation to the
administrative body and Council`s committees.
Article (22): Any legal meeting is considered by presence of the
absolute majority of the members.
Article (23): Decisions and recommendations are taken by a
majority of the presence in the case of an equality of votes.
The vote of the head of the session is more probable.
Article (24): If the Head of the Council resigns or his vice or the
secretary or membership of any of them cancelled, the
Council shall elect a replacement.
Article (25): The Board shall exercise its powers to the extent that
they are not incompatible with the practice of terms of
reference assigned to various councils and departments at the
University in accordance with its laws and regulations and
instructions in force.
Article (26): The Council is cancelled by decision of Deans` council
upon the recommendation of the President of the University.
The Fund of the Council shall be kept by the treasury of the
Article (27): President of the University shall decide in cases which
are not provided in these instructions.
Article (28): The first term of the council expires by the end of the
Council elections on schedule.
Article (29): President of the University and the Dean of Student
Affairs are responsible for implementing the provision of